Thursday, May 01, 2008

Buon giorno

Or for those of you, like me, who can't speak a word of Italian - Good Day. Thursday seems, inadvertently, to be becoming my Good Day to blog. Dunno why, but there we go.

For those of you who do speak Italian, you might already be familiar with the woodworking forum Il Truciolo. Well a charming, but evidentally insane, gentleman from there by name of Antonino asked whether he could translate some of my reviews into Italian for the site and being the easily-flattered pawn that I am, I said "okay". And behold, the first one is now available. Unfortunately you'll have to register to see it, and the nature of the forum software is such that translating stuff if you're not fluent in Italian is a bit tricky, but should you be interested... 

As ever, English is comprehensively knocked into a cocked hat by the sheer beauty imparted to any phrase when written or spoken in a more poetic tongue. Viz; doth not:

"Per cominciare, devo confessare che non sono un grande utilizzatore di scrub plane"

sound a lot better than:

"Right up front, I must confess I’m not a great user of scrub planes"?

Heck, I can practically hear the famous "utilizzatore di scrub plane" aria wowing the audience at Covent Garden. Mind you I've been hearing a lot of strange things lately; time to increase the medication again methinks... ;-)

4 comments:

  1. I hope your delightful sense of humour has not been lost in the translation.

    Cheers;)

    Paul Chapman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alf

    You've let the Bowie theme of your blog titles slip! You could have used "Absolute Beginners" for the Italian translation or maybe "Loving the Alien"?...

    Regards.

    Evergreen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, someone noticed! (Does happy dance. Stops. Looks round in embarrassment) Ha-hum.

    Funnily enough I did try for the Italian for "Loving the Alien" but wasn't sufficiently confident in the translation to risk it :)

    Lost In Translation was the title I should have used instead. Darn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now you've got me worrying about Ezra Pound, among other things...

    Bit its nice to see (hear?) your humor breaking through!

    Vinny

    ReplyDelete

Owing to vast quantities of spam this blog is getting, I'm afraid only registered users can post. All comments are moderated before publication, so there may be some delay. My apologies.