Thursday, June 30, 2005

Do mistakes always happen?

I admit it; I've got woodworker's block again. The next step is to taper the legs of those small, but pesky side tables, and I'm putting it off. I don't know why really; how hard can it be? But nevertheless, there it is - blockage. Ho-hum. Maybe at the weekend I'll suddenly feel moved to get on with it? Also I need to work out my plan of attack vis-a-vis buttons to hold the tops on. It's been ages since I've done them. Truth is there's all too many things in this apparently simple project that I either have never done (tapered legs, basic stretcher into square leg stuff - would you believe it? It's true though, it's never come up before) or haven't done for a long time, like the buttons. That's the trouble with a project strike rate slightly slower than a sloth in thick treacle... It's also worrying me that - so far - there hasn't been a mistake. Yes, I cut the tenon upside down and fence of the Lewin wandered away while I was beading, but it all happened on the test pieces, which is what they're there for. So at some point there's bound to be a cock-up, and the longer it goes before that happens, the greater a disaster it has the potential to be. Unless... No, it's not likely. But, well, maybe this is the big breakthrough moment when the amount of woodworking I get right first time outweighs all the stuff that, well, wasn't...

Nah.

1 comment:

  1. HI Alf,

    I always enjoy reading through your blog from time to time.

    I don't know when you will--or if you have actually--attacked the legs yet. I was wondering how you plan on going about it?

    For myself, I usually mark off the top and bottom of the cuts (usually just taper the inside faces) on the legs, snap a chalkline, cut to the outside of the line with the bandsaw then plane to the middle of the line.

    Quick and usually painless--certainly slow enough that nothing ever has gone wrong.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

Owing to vast quantities of spam this blog is getting, I'm afraid only registered users can post. All comments are moderated before publication, so there may be some delay. My apologies.