Friday, January 27, 2006

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

workshop n. a detached stone building in Cornwall seldom visited by Alf.

What with birthdays, visitors and freezing cold weather, it's just not been an option. On the other hand I'm seeing the light at the end of the scanning tunnel, so it's not been a totally wasted week. But the Tuit List has stacked up just a little more today, which isn't helpful. Heigh ho; I dare say I'll muddle through.

Oh, the bandsaw blades arrived this morning. Thinking back, I have a strong feeling he said a week's delay last time, and they turned up a few days later. Maybe just a habit he's acquired to keep the punters from bothering him with "where are they?" calls. Anyway that's another Tuit. It's so long since, ah hum, I changed blades I'll have to find the instruction manual...

Finally, I made a rare visit to The Wreck this morning and stumbled upon this. Ironic that the language should make an impact when I'd just yesterday come to the conclusion that the derogatory term for woodworking mags - comics - was in fact true. Well don't comics put the emphasis on the picture and not the words? Tsk, I shouldn't look at back issues of GWW; it just makes me nostalgic, and it's not even as if things were that great then. I wasn't going to do the GWW rant again, was I? Sorry. No reflection on the contributors, I hasten to add. At least not about their woodworking - cover model skills though, that might be another thing... But the idea of all us British woodworkers sitting round woodworking vicariously through the pages of a mag because we can't afford the wood! Chuckle.

Mind you, sometimes it does feel like that...

4 comments:

  1. Is the weather a bit chilly down your way, then? ;)
    Cold tools are the quickest way to put a woodworker in front of the telly...........
    As to "cover model skills"-be glad I don't write for the US woody press! Imagine that-hundreds of thousands of magazines with that ugly mug grimacing ;)
    Keep warm,
    Philly

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Imagine that - hundreds of thousands of magazines with that ugly mug grimacing."

    Crikes - imagine that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. (shudder) And I was just about managing to avoid imagining that, too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alf,

    You might like this aphorism

    "Grammar, properly understood, enables us not only to express our meaning fully and clearly, but so to express it as to enable us to defy the ingenuity of man to give our words any other meaning than that which we ourselves intend them to express."

    William Cobbett: Grammar

    Chris

    ReplyDelete

Owing to vast quantities of spam this blog is getting, I'm afraid only registered users can post. All comments are moderated before publication, so there may be some delay. My apologies.