Thursday, July 11, 2013

Got Retro Taped

Whilst stumbling over the Handyman's Birthday card last week, I also found something infinitely more interesting. Cast your mind back, if you will, to the very welcome acquisition of my Great-Grandfather's Rabone Measuring Tape. A design classic, these tapes, and oddly satisfying to use.

But there are often problems; the first few feet have usually seen a lot of action and can be very worn and/or missing altogether, they tend to stretch over time, and for the metricated amongst us, they're resolutely Imperial. Unless they're in some other unit of measurement entirely, when you're really all out of luck. But they're so very galootish, no?

Kids! They make a modern version! Can't believe it, but the fad for "retro" may actually have its uses. Look.
Obviously it doesn't have quite the vibe of the genuine article, although I think the price tag for it compared to an old one in as-new condition may actually be better. Plus it has them thar new-fangled centy-meters for the young'uns. So there you are, if you've always hankered for such a thing. 

I'll now go away and sit on my hands and tell myself that actually, no, I don't need one and no, my curiosity does not need to be satisfied about it in any way, shape or form. We'll see how that goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Owing to vast quantities of spam this blog is getting, I'm afraid only registered users can post. All comments are moderated before publication, so there may be some delay. My apologies.