Thursday, April 28, 2005

Hear ye, the word of the Bevel Up Plane

What's all this bevel up stuff anyway?

Grrrr... I blame all together too many vicars and ministers in my ancestry. Why must I feel this compulsion to convert everyone? So what if they don't "get" bevel up planes. No skin off my nose. Not me missing out on a Good Thing. But it gets to me. Especially when people say they're Not Especially Good Actually, without declaring if they've tried one. Or not... And especially if they haven't tried a higher angle blade in one when that's one of the main advantages. Okay, so up until, what? Six months ago? I wasn't at all convinced either. But I didn't go round telling other people they were part of a craze - simply because I hadn't tried what they had. Don't get me started on comparing apples with kumquats whatever you do...


Rant over. I imagine, if anyone ever actually reads this, I can expect comments.

2 comments:

  1. Alf-don't feel bad! When you experience "a good thing" you can't help sharing! Bevel-up planes are definitely a "good thing" in my book.
    Unfortunately a lot of people have truly to "get" the finer points of planes (henceforce the "how few planes can I get away with" questions. As if....)The more planes you use ( and live with) the more you identify the plus and minus points of different tools.
    Keep up the good work (and congrats on a great looking web-site)
    Philly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good lord! So I hadn't completely fouled up the comments box with my tinkering with the code then. That's a relief :~)

    Ah Philly, you speak in words of wisdom, but the blood rushes to my head, the eyes bulge and I tend to fume at the screen. Pity I don't have a webcam really - I could sell tickets... Thanks for the kind words, and ditto (Phillsville link on the "Links" page of my site, for the benefit of any passing strangers)

    ReplyDelete

Owing to vast quantities of spam this blog is getting, I'm afraid only registered users can post. All comments are moderated before publication, so there may be some delay. My apologies.