Monday, September 11, 2006

Dazed

You wouldn't think it possible to talk and/or listen (mainly talk...) continuously for about 7 hours with only 30 seconds (not an exaggeration. No, not even for comic effect) of it spent sitting down, would you? Well I wouldn't. But it's amazing what you can do when you're surrounded by a bunch of friendly, generous and interesting woodworkers - oh, and more tools than the average tool store. Yes, the UK Workshop Big Bash 2006 has been, gone and I'm now reaping the effects. The lights are on but there's no-one in. Not strictly true; there's seems to be a sort of zombie who's just about capable of going "huh?". So you'll have to wait for a brain (for want of a better word) dump on it 'til later. But don't expect photographs - I didn't even have a moment to get the camera out, never mind take a pic. Instead allow me to do a Philly and point you towards DaveL's page o' pics instead.

I did manage to take a few at Yandles on Friday though, and they sum up the visit rather well, I think. First, met up with various UK Workshoppers, went to drool all over the Classic Hand Tools stand and watched Philly spend money:



Then wandered about to look at the stands and saw - amongst other things that didn't come out well in the photos - some weird turnings:



Subsequently adjourned to drool over the timber in the wood store (that's just a fraction of what was there. Oh for a big lorry instead of a small hatchback...):



I contented myself with a modest piece of purpleheart, ostensibly for my brother's birthday present but also with a view to there being some left for a chisel handle or two... Heavy stuff though, so I popped back to the car to drop it off, only to return in time to see Philly spend some more money and spirit away another purchase into his Mobile Black Hole For Tools.



Thus neatly bringing the visit full circle. It's possible that I was able to be good about not buying any tools myself simply because I was able to shop vicariously through Phil. It's practically a public service he's doing there. Well that's probably his excuse anyway...

Tomorrow, Big Bash stuff.

2 comments:

  1. Noooooooooo........!
    The Missus walked by as I was reading this and said "Isn't that you? I didn't see you bring that home......."
    Busted, good and proper. It's a fair cop, Guv, etc ;)
    Twas fun at Yandles-good to meet up with you all again!
    Nice to have another excuse to wheel out, too.
    Cheers
    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! Sorry, Phil. =8-O Still, it was a Good Buy so it doesn't count, does it? :)

    ReplyDelete

Owing to vast quantities of spam this blog is getting, I'm afraid only registered users can post. All comments are moderated before publication, so there may be some delay. My apologies.