Sunday, May 15, 2005

Dem bones, dem bones, dem...

.. dry bones.

Quite why it should come as a surprise to me, I don't know, but bone is hard. And dusty. And smelly. Unfortunately the smell makes me feel a little nauseaous, which adds an extra dimension of difficulty I hadn't anticipated. Never mind, progress is being made - slowly; and it files and sands like a really good, tight-grained hardwood. The bone "plate" is now glued in with epoxy and I'll leave it to set overnight. After that a certain amount of shaping of the sole is going to be required, and I feel cheating and using a belt sander coming on. Did I mention how hard bone is? Well it is. And the old Eclipse hacksaw let me down repeatedly while I was trying to saw it so the cut was all over the place. Its days are numbered...

1 comment:

  1. I made a bone nut for my guitar-made the mistake of using my Dremel to shape it. The SMELL!!!!!!
    I found a scraper made light work of cleaning it up, and left a nice finish too.
    Hope it helps,
    Philly (who can still smell that disgusting smell!)

    ReplyDelete

Owing to vast quantities of spam this blog is getting, I'm afraid only registered users can post. All comments are moderated before publication, so there may be some delay. My apologies.