Monday, March 05, 2007

Serendipity

I had a moment of combi plane serendipity with the 044 over the weekend. There's been a pair of short fence rods knocking about in the Lewin box since I got it, but they don't fit the Lewin. I bethought me to try the 044 and lo', my 044 that came sans short rods now has the full complement. Seems to be a "lucky" 044 'cos the one cutter it came with just happened to be the size missing from my otherwise complete example too. Just need to fall over a complete set of cutters for it now - and at this rate I don't rule that out.

Meanwhiles Paul's completely cracked the combi identification, on the second attempt.


1. Record #044 (long rods)
2. Record #044 (short rods)
3. Record #043 (long rods)
4. Record #043 (custom short rods and "BugBear" lignum fence)
5. Stanley #50 (USA)
6. Stanley #50 (GB)
7. Lewin
8. Stanley #45
9. Record #405
10. Stanley #46
11. Stanley #55

The glaring ommision is of course the Record 050. I used to have one but sold it. Dunno why, moment of madness I s'pose...

2 comments:

  1. Blimey, I really must get out more! That #405 looks really nice - got a close-up pic?

    Cheers:)

    Paul Chapman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the posts about the Record #044 and other combination planes.
    I just got a later (1949+) one, almost NOS, and it does a great job.

    ReplyDelete

Owing to vast quantities of spam this blog is getting, I'm afraid only registered users can post. All comments are moderated before publication, so there may be some delay. My apologies.