Monday, December 10, 2012

Stuck

Despite what you might think, I'm trying not to repeat myself here, while also relying an awful lot on blog fodder that I already have on hand. A tricky line to tread, as you may imagine, and not helped when the interweb speed is absolutely crawling so checking what I've done before is a form of torture. And adding photos ain't happening until it picks up speed a little. 

So, while we wait for that miracle, further to that gauge and the making of wedges for same. Well, that and a number of other wedges needed here and there for tools various. What the heck is the secret?

I mean, I can make a wedge. Of sorts. In a hack-it-out kinda way, but every time I feel like I'm reinventing the wheel. Art more than science. What is the secret to successful wedge making? Is there a primer for same anywhere? "Wedges; A New Angle" or some such title? I don't mean churning out twenty at a time like the planemakers and toolmakers of yore (and now-a-yore, for all I know), because I only ever seem to need one or two, and there never seem to be three alike.

Have at it in the comments box, folks. Your methods, pointers to books or articles, any darn thing. I welcome all and anything to assist me. Or maybe even inspire me to actually, um, make some. As we're waiting for miracles anyway...

3 comments:

  1. Here's the Schwarz on wedge-making (you knew it would be he!).
    http://blip.tv/popular-woodworking-videos/two-ways-to-make-wedges-3525941

    Bandsaw looks a lot easier - and more productive, although the hand saw method looks better for those of us who need the practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Pete (Yes, of course it had to be he!), but joinery wedges I can do. It's the more decorative sort for tools that elude me. Especially the captive variety, such as those for a wedge-armed plough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, those wedges!! Sorry, don't think I can help you there. Even Whelan's book on traditional wooden planes, filled with wedged things, spends little time on wedges themselves.

    There are a few discussions around on the making of wedged marking gauges, which might help. Bob Rozaieski has a video at the Logan Cabinet Shoppe, and there's an article by Will Myers at Wiktor Kuc's site.

    ReplyDelete

Owing to vast quantities of spam this blog is getting, I'm afraid only registered users can post. All comments are moderated before publication, so there may be some delay. My apologies.