Friday, January 02, 2009

Strings attached

Well Happy New Year woodworking folk! My only resolution was not to make any - thus breaking it by its very existence. Might as well get it over and done with, eh?

Whilst idly looking for something else, I ran across this photo from 1925:

Quote: Mr Glenister, who runs a tobacconist shop but makes violins as a hobby, at work on a violin.

Have fun playing 'spot the tool'. Nice shot of a means to counteract the racking in a front vice too. Shop-bought workbench I wondered? Anyway, makes a change to see a pic of an acknowledged amateur I thought, although it looks as staged as any other. Except perhaps the clutter on the bench top is all too genuine...

3 comments:

  1. A great photo! Thanks for sharing it.

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you too, Alf.

    Cheers ;-)

    Paul Chapman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could that be a Mathieson plane, on its side on the bench, do you think? Glad to see someone else wears a three piece suit with a hard collar and tie in the workshop, not just me.

    Happy New Year, Alf.

    Evergreen

    ReplyDelete

Owing to vast quantities of spam this blog is getting, I'm afraid only registered users can post. All comments are moderated before publication, so there may be some delay. My apologies.