Friday, February 18, 2011

The Woodworker

Thought I'd give the workbench stuff a break, for your sanity as much as mine. Although what to do with a big stack of 2" southern yellow pine is playing on my mind more than somewhat, so I've been flicking through the old Woodworker annuals again, idly wondering if it might be fun to drag bench making into the 20thC and make the "Hayward Bench" just for the hell of it. Must be something in the air, judging by The Schwarz's latest post on the Lost Art Press blog.

I recalled that Bob Wearing had remembered Charles Hayward before, for the obituary in The Woodworker itself. So I dug it out and scanned it for the edification of the masses. Or any masses that might be interested.


Funnily enough I was also on the lookout for Robert Wearing's work as I got into the editions from the 50s and articles started to be attributed to their authors. Unless I missed it, the first one positively identified is on dovetails in 1959. Not the cutting of them, but the finer points of making them look good. Needless to say there are a couple of tools you can make to facilitate this. Alas, I'm missing a couple of volumes in the very early 50s so I don't seem to have the one on making the plane. The way things are going, if I don't get them soon I won't be able to afford them...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting that obituary, Alf. Two really great men who must have influenced thousands of woodworkers.

    I had the pleasure of meting Bob Wearing many years ago at a woodworking show and seeing some of the tools and devices he had made to illustrate his books. Such a nice and modest person.

    Cheers ;-)

    Paul Chapman

    ReplyDelete

Owing to vast quantities of spam this blog is getting, I'm afraid only registered users can post. All comments are moderated before publication, so there may be some delay. My apologies.