Monday, September 08, 2008

Sylvan transfer

Now this, folks, is the way to go about doing woodworking tourism; sit at home and let it come to you... By roundabout methods I needn't go into here, I find among my acquaintance a person wot has a place in Romania. To be more accurate, Transylvania. Yes, yes, where the vampires come from - you may expect a least one reference to that at some point, unless I can resist. And no, she isn't one. At least as far as I know. It's not something you talk about... 

Anyway... Transylvania being translated, as she reminds me, to "the country beyond the woods", seems rather woodworker-friendly. As long as you keep a stake handy. Behold; here's the local castle of Bran - yes, before you ask, this blog entry is particularly good for you. It's All Bran. (Gawd, that was terrible. Sorry)

And here we have some woodworkers of Bran displaying their safety masks. Well if you were a dust particle, would you want to come within 5 yards of such a countenance? Obviously I jest; must admit I'm not sure of the reason for the masks. Maybe to give the kiddies nightmares about something other than Vlad the Impaler?


And a fine product from said woodworkers:


'Tis a bit reminiscent of shells to my eye, no? Anyway, I'm informed the woods are Cherry: ciresi (pronounced chiresh), Ash: frasin and Silver Birch: mastecan. Also used are Walnut: nuc, a dark red Plum: pruna, and Willow: salcie (pron. salchiye). No, I didn't ask; usually you get the blank look followed by the rapid shuffle as the person tries to get away from you when you ask "but what wood is it?" don't you? Or is that just me... No, this was volunteered me. Perhaps the reputation of woodworkers wishing to know details proceeds us?

I thought it was interesting that it's the end grain that provides the face; but on reflection it makes some sense. Presumably they shape up the end of a long stick, cut it off, shape up the end again, cut it off, and so forth, making a larger and more manageable workpiece to deal with? Good moment to drill the small holes for the elastic cord that holds it all together too, I'd have thought. Indeed, might well be a design worth ripping off, er, I mean flattering with imitation...

So there we have it; many thanks to Abbs for the pics, the content and, indeed, the raison d'etre. Oh, and the garlic. See? She can't be a vampire after all.

1 comment:

  1. Can't be a vampire? But she's gone to the trouble of sending the garlic to a different country, well out of harms way.

    Also encourages all wooden stakes to have the ends shaped and removed, repeatedly, until they are too short to be used!

    She is one very cunning vampire :-)

    SeanG

    ReplyDelete

Owing to vast quantities of spam this blog is getting, I'm afraid only registered users can post. All comments are moderated before publication, so there may be some delay. My apologies.