Thursday, October 27, 2005

Dove-tales

The dovetail practice regime continues, but first the evidence of yesterday's effort. Go on, click on the pic for the larger size, feast your eyes on the horror - I can take it. Nasty eh? How could I have overshot the line three times?! Dummkopf. That plus the right hand side of the left tail is practicaly dead straight instead of angled, which I hadn't even noticed until now. Not good at all. But despite appearances to the contrary, I was not discouraged. Helped by an inquiry about purchasing a dovetail saw, I had another go today.

Well I'm back to blaming the saw, quite honestly. I used two different saws on this joint, and the results are much better. In fact I think it's the best so far, so that's good. Maybe practice really does make perfect? Perhaps doing all your practice on actual projects isn't such a good idea after all? Who'd have thunked it? ;~) Still got enough wood left for at least one, maybe two more attempts. What I'm going to do with all these short right angle pieces though is another matter...

5 comments:

  1. Nice work Alf! Fun, isn't it. I love making the same mistakes over and over ;)
    Makes you investigate all these little dovetail tricks and jigs to ensure (hah!) a perfect result.
    Or the Rat..........:0
    SO what saws did you use?
    Cheers
    Philly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad someone likes making the same mistakes over and over - there had to be someone! :~) Nope, I'm not tempted to opt for jigs and such; I know in the long run it'll pay me to know how to do it without them. It's become something of a quest!

    The "new" saws were the two on the right here. The teeth on the 8" one are in a fearful state due to 18ppi and my ineptness, but it cuts like buttah. The previous one is also 8" but 15ppi IIRC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the saws, Alf!

    Even the first pic would glue if one had to. A little sliver into the miscuts would salvage it. If one needed to.

    But you don't. Not a real world project and the practice is going well it seems to me.

    The real question is, though, pins or tails first?...

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Mike, I must confess to tails first. In fact I've never even tried pins first; I'm sticking with what I know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was, of course, just teasing.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete

Owing to vast quantities of spam this blog is getting, I'm afraid only registered users can post. All comments are moderated before publication, so there may be some delay. My apologies.