Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Planning ahead

Been rather neglecting the ol' blog so far this week. You know what that means - nothing doing in the workshop. Oh I meant to, of course I did. But what with the footie and one thing and another, it just never happened. I believe hiatus projectus has struck again; an inability to immediately go onto the next project having completed the previous one. You'd think I'd be starting the next one before finishing the last by now, wouldn't you? But no, dumbo here falls into the same bout of Woodworker's Block every time. And to be fair I had to devote myself whole-heartedly to The Chair at the end, to get it done in time. Even then is was a "damn close run thing". So stopping off to plane up that chestnut, f'rinstance, just wasn't on the cards. 'Specially when you're using the planer thicknesser as a worktop at the time. Ha hum.

No, I've been doing thrilling stuff like cleaning parrot cages instead. Got to leave them clean for being parrot-sat next week. Yep, off up country on Saturday until Thursday. Gasp. I haven't been away that long in years; not sure what I'll do with myself parted from my keyboard that long. Might have to prevail upon my bro to let me borrow his. Too bad he hasn't got a workshop as well, but with luck I'll be able to take in some local sites of woodworking interest to keep the withdrawal symptoms at bay. And I know someone'll ask in the comments - it's the Kent/Sussex border. Not far from Timberline, purveyor of exotic timbers, funnily enough. Hmm, plane totes, chisel handles, plot, plot..

2 comments:

  1. ALF,

    Have a well-deserved trip! Out of the rut and into new ideas and big plans. Need photos if you can accommodate. The English countryside will do very well!

    Well I'm between projects also, which is special and quiet time. It's like the time at work between Christmas and New Years--no pressure at all, but great potential for what's coming next. A few specially good things: (1) relief that 'it's finally over' and can't be compromised further; (2) blue skies feeling of glorious things are in the offing, (3) cleaning all the now-meaningless debris and oddments the hell off my bench and into the garbage can; (4) planing benchtop flat and clean of glue and shellac; and most especially...(5) piddling.

    Piddling = sharpening stuff whether it needs it or not, and making shavings with every tool...tuning stuff, even if it hasn't been used recently, or in living memory...make new jig--shooting board--or a new stringing cutter...slowly circle what the next project might be...get momentum toward the exact next project...(beginning to accelerate)...get excited about the wood it will take...figure out the difficult pieces and make new jigs and scratches and cutters...order wood and any new gouges.

    And then..suddenly.. back to reality and you're prepping a bunch of roughsawn wood again and trying to match boards to project parts. No more blue skies.

    Any of this sound familiar?

    Do have fun, smell the roses, and take a few photos of the sceptered isle.

    Wiley....with a small quote to get you in the mood for travel:

    "This royal throne of kings, this sceptered isle,
    This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,
    This other Eden, demi-paradise,
    This fortress built by Nature for herself
    Against infection and the hand of war,
    This happy breed of men, this little world,
    This precious stone set in the silver sea,
    Which serves it in the office of a wall,
    Or as a moat defensive to a house,
    Against the envy of less happier lands,
    This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,"

    Richard II, John of Gaunt speaking. He goes on to complain about what Richard II is doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds all too familiar, Wiley. But heck, I'm all awash with patriotic pride now, after The Bard. I'll see what I can do by way of piccies of the Garden of England; fingers crossed the Blessed Housing Estate that is the southeast these days doesn't get in the way... :~)

    ReplyDelete

Owing to vast quantities of spam this blog is getting, I'm afraid only registered users can post. All comments are moderated before publication, so there may be some delay. My apologies.